Where it All Began
A captivating game was sweeping the continent at the end of the 19th century, a game which had been experienced by Grinnell College faculty members while on leaves of absence. This game, which the wags called “Pasture Pool” or by its more appropriate name, Golf, interested them so much that it lead to the formation of Grinnell Golf Club on Oct. 2, 1899.
There were 21 charter members who recognized the opportunity for an inexpensive healthful form of exercise and recreation. Some of the founders included: Prof. W.S. Hendrixson, C.W.H Beyer, Prof. J. Macy, Carrie Denise, E.W. Clark Jr, H.H. Robbins, and Frank Thayer
Honoring Tradition, Preserving the Future
The founders’ goals of creating recreation and social opportunities for Grinnellians have not been forgotten. Ownership has changed and with it the name, but the traditions still live on Grinnell College Golf Course.
Provide a quality event center and green space that caters to a diverse array of recreational, educational, business, and social opportunities for the students, faculty, staff, and citizens of Grinnell and the surrounding areas.
- To be considered the nicest 9-hole golf course in Iowa by 2024
- Deemed an industry leader in incorporating environmentally sound practices that will minimize labor, chemical, and fuel costs while enhancing the playability and aesthetics of the golf course.
- Operate in a fiscally responsibility manner.
Keys to Success
- Offer unique golf experiences
- Provide an unmatched customer service level
- Create opportunities for year-round recreation
- Adopt policies that promote clean and safe environments for all patrons
- Create an affordable rate structure
- Market both the event space and golf course as centralized locations for Eastern Iowa
- Foster and retain strong ties to the community, its organizations, and its businesses.